How do you define the Auckland food scene? Is it a Sunday roast? No.
Auckland plays host as one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world, beating bustling cities such as New York & London. Therefore, in ONE word I would define Auckland's food scene as 'fusion heaven'.
Niesh in collaboration with Silk Road held our 1st Street Food Showcase at ZERO cost for international students. Below is a breakdown of 'my favourite dishes of the night'.
1. Soba Noodles topped with Chilean style Ceviche
With freshly caught Waitematā Harbour line snapper, this dish was fresh and tangy, a perfect entrée dish.
The Fusion: Chile and Japan
2. Shitake & Kumara Vietnamese Rolls (VG)
SOOO many vegan options! This pudgy little dish was delicate in flavour but balanced by a rich peanut butter sauce.
The Fusion: East Asia and Vietnam
3. The Three Bao's
Although I can never see bao's the same again (have you watched Incredibles 2 yet?), these bao's remain in my heart as three delicious delights. The bao's featured interesting combo's such as the kumara sour cream.
- Tamil Style Braised Lamb & Kumara Fry Bread (local flour from Stone Mills in Mt Wellington)
- Brazilian Feijoada of Pork & Black Beans in a Steam Bao (local pork from Pokeno)
- Potato Pea & Spinach Fried Roti (local potatoes from Pukekoe) (V)
The Fusion: Asia, Brazil and India
4. Korean Style Fried Chicken with Sticky Peri Peri Glaze & Peri Peri Fried Cauliflower with Pickled Plum Sauce (VG)
I am a HUGE fan of Nando's, when Silk Road created their own blend of Peri Peri glaze. It made the chicken and cauliflower the perfect combo between sweet and salty. Yet again, ingredients were locally sourced such as the plums from Pakuranga.
The Fusion: Africa and Korea
5. Pavlova Nests
A Kiwi classic with a twist, crowds snatched them away as soon as they came out of the kitchen. HECTIC. Made out of locally sourced cream (Puhoi Valley), eggs (Auckland Homes) and sugar (Harvest Sugar). It was a crowd favourite.
"First time trying Pavlova, and I had TWO" - Dina (International Student)
The Fusion: New Zealand and France
Did you miss out this year? Not to worry, at Niesh we're always running new and fun events. Just stay in touch with our social media channels.